'We've made many mistakes' - Salman Ali Agha after Pakistan's shambolic Headingley defeat
England defeated Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in the first Test at Headingley on Friday, August 21. This was England's first match in their post-Bazball era. The visiting team's second-innings collapse proved decisive, with the team dismissed for 135 after reaching 51 for 2, losing four wickets for 25 runs. The first-innings total of 171 had already left Pakistan in a difficult position against England's bowling attack.
Salman Ali Agha led Pakistan in place of injured Babar Azam and was dismissed lbw to Josh Tongue at 76 for 6 in the second innings. Josh Tongue finished with 8 for 89 and Ollie Robinson with 8 for 80 across both innings, demonstrating England's bowling dominance throughout the match.
"England have outplayed us and it is fair to say. We have made many mistakes. Our batting is inexperience in these conditions but they need to be consistent. There was moisture when we bowled but our bowlers did not make the most of it. We do have bowlers who can click 140kph but these three fast bowlers had done well in West Indies and these conditions suit them." Agha said after the match.
Agha's assessment reflected both accountability for the errors at Headingley and confidence in the squad's ability to recover. He praised Ali Usman's bowling performance in the English conditions and Abdullah Shafique's batting display, signalling that individual contributions had met his expectations despite the overall result. His optimism about Babar's return suggested Pakistan would seek to regroup quickly for the next encounter.
"I still back them. We need to eradicate mistakes and comeback stronger in the next match. I am very happy for Ali Usman because of the way he bowled in these conditions. Also very happy for how Abdullah Shafique batted. Hopefully Babar will comeback in the next match and his presence will give a boost to our batting," he added.
The second Test at Lord's starts on Thursday, August 28, offering Pakistan an immediate opportunity to respond. They last won a red-ball series in England almost 30 years ago, and this defeat underscored the challenge ahead as the series opener culminated.
Share this article:
Comments
Loading comments...
Related Articles
Mitchell Starc takes 6/12 against Bangladesh, moves past Dale Steyn in all-time Test list
Starc's 22-ball five-wicket burst helped bowl Bangladesh out for just 64 in the second Test at Mackay on August 22, 2026.
Kagiso Rabada picks up right hamstring injury in winter training
Cricket South Africa confirms further assessments are scheduled, leaving the pace bowler's availability for the home season uncertain.
'I was just trying to be consistent,' says Ollie Robinson after eight-wicket match haul vs Pakistan
Ollie Robinson claimed career-best match figures of 8 for 80 as England beat Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs at Headingley.
